User-agent: * Allow: / CH on Track: Sprint Cup race at Indy was boring

Search

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sprint Cup race at Indy was boring

Friday night's Truck race and Saturday's Nationwide race at O'Reilly Raceway Park was great. Not so much for the Sprint Cup race Sunday at the beautiful 100-year old Indianapolis Motor Speedway. In face, the race was b-o-r-i-n-g. And I am an avid race fan.

There was some side-by-side racing, but passing was virtually impossible. Tire wear was not a problem this year -- thank goodness -- due to extensive testing by several teams and folks from Goodyear, but perhaps a few extra cautions -- with double-file restarts -- would have livened things up a little. It is sad that one of the most prestigious tracks on the circuit was home to a dull race. Even the end, because Mark Martin was unable to slip past or even run neck-and-neck with Jimmy Johnson, was not worth watching.

I even felt sorry, for the first time ever, for Juan Pablo Montoya who got robbed by a speeding penalty after he carried almost the entire race single-handedly. I actually wanted him to win because he earned it.

Personally, I'd like to see the COT scrapped. But, if we must be stuck with the COT, and NASCAR wants to keep fans interested, then races should be shortened or super speedways eliminated from the circuit.

There are some bright sides for me, anyway. My favorite driver Ryan Newman maintained his points standing. Tony Stewart, who is now my second favorite driver, had a great run and is probably the 2009 champion, and I got to get some work done on my latest crocheting project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your comment: